Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Advocate for Education

I was one of those "older" (or should I say more mature) graduates from college. It wasn't until my kids were in their teens that I went back to school to obtain my bachelor's degree. As such, I had not only a greater appreciation for my professors trying to teach the classes but also a greater appreciation for the learning process and the knowledge I was picking up in these classes. I am one of those students who absolutely loves school. With that in mind, I am back in school with some Adult Ed classes. One of the courses I am taking is computers, which absolutely fascinates me. My other class, however is Accounting and I have to say that I am struggling. I unfortunately do not operate on that side of the brain too well---math and science and accounting is indeed a science. As challenging as this course is for me though I am tenacious and I am not going to let it defeat me or my purpose. I am told that having this accounting skill will be appealing in the job market but aside from that I am determined to persevere. Thankfully we have wonderful instructors in this adult education system who are patient and supportive of their students trying to grasp everything they are teaching. I graduated from college in 2004 and have not gone back to school until this past spring in 2010. The moment I stepped back onto the campus I realized how much I missed the world of academia. I truly love learning new things and want to continue educating myself the rest of my life...no matter how difficult a course could be, like accounting.

1 comment:

  1. It took me a 10 years after high school to finish my BGS. I started and stopped too. I really enjoyed the evening program that I finished up in. Most of us were older than the usual crowd attending the day classes. I think returning to school gives you a greater appreciation for it. Even though I enjoyed the learning, I still don't enjoy the tests. ;) Good luck in your classes. :)

    ReplyDelete